“In music, syncopation includes a variety of rhythms which are in some way unexpected in that they deviate from the strict succession of regularly spaced strong and weak but also powerful beats in a meter (pulse). These include a stress on a normally unstressed beat or a rest where one would normally be stressed. “If a part of the measure that is usually unstressed is accented, the rhythm is considered to be syncopated.”
The infrastructure system of Vienna offers the whole gamut of urban experiences. Their differences and collisions could be the starting point for the redefinition of the strategy by way of a strengthening of the peculiarity of each system.
This strengthening operation could lead to a redistribution of programs that would, in turn, create tighter urban dynamics in witch every part of the city complements the others. The space of connection is not simply a bi-dimensional connection but rather a sequence that generates urban rhythm. It acts as a negotiating element between built mass and natural areas by ordering the settlements in a readable layout.
The project exploits the potential of the interaction points creating a green link along the infrastructure line. This link became a syncopated sequence of void spaces that is able to suture the fragmented urban tissue and to create programmatic crossings along the site. In such way we create multiple points of interaction, a backbone for local communities across a global icon.
01.The level crossing : A place that usually interrupt the urban life became a place for interaction between different users.
02. Green Link : The Strategy operate connecting the spots along the exhisting s-bhan infrastructure . The isolated Backdoor spaces facilities and leftovers will be linked together by a pedestrian and bycicle path. The intervention unfold a parallel infrastructure connecting the local paths to the regional city routes. A new moblity and a new landscape perception take place.
03. The sub-urban net re-activation : The strategy wants to re-activate the net with small interventions ( such as temporary market or reusing the abbandoned 2 storeys high buildings as rentable spaces :artist atelier etc )..The presence of the green link will be able to make such crossing routes as more intersting and liveable spaces for Hietzing, working as attractors for all Vienna
04. The Hub : he new acces to the S-Bahn in east side offer the possibiliy to create a hub between different mobilities. This place became a strong pedestrian joint able to group different kind of trasportation. Techincally we follow the natural slope of the hill , creating an open underground passage full of shops and facilities .The 2 storeys high gym “dominate” the space. A space reacheble in every spots without any kind of barrier.
05. Noise isolation : The first intervention shows the possibility of separating the car mobility from the tram line on Preyergasse. That preliminary operation will be able to reduce the noice vibration of the cars passing on the track.
06. Programs Collision : Different programs for different social actors creates spaces for interaction. This programmatic collisions is the heart of our syncopated crossing strip. We believe that a space for social interaction can not avoid to have a place in which people meet ,also having different interest. We discover in our research that in such spot the mixed of function and interest is possible . By forcing this collision whitin architecture we believe that a new neighborhood could be created in Hietzing.
07. Densifying : The social housing prototype is the starting point for the investigation of further forms of common living between different kinds of mobilities. The morphology of physical interaction hibrydes itself with the morphology of noise and the programmatic collision of the different users needs, creating in this way shared facilities where the participation to community’s activity takes place.
The golden-age housing typology forms a micro-community of private units providing specific services. Every unit take advantage of an outdoor private area (patio or terrace) and of common spaces near shared access areas.
The families typology has service space ( such as lauderette ) in common and meeting areas indoor and outdoor
The temporary typology can have a mixture of young and workers on a temporary based. The typology is an attractive space close to the leisure area ( bars etc ) and well connected to the mobility hub . In this typology the bycicle path enter on the serviced corridor ( that is connected by a ramp to the ground floor ) . A dynamic space cool space.
A new community across the infrastructure
Different programs for different social actors create spaces for interaction. This programmatic collision is the heart of our syncopated crossing strip; it shapes a new neighborhood, reinforced hybrid social housing prototypes.
Consultants: G. De Lisi, G. Porcù